Wednesday, February 28, 2007

For it was I who chose to start

All right, hilarious class story:

So, today we were looking at one of my favourite plays, Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. I ask for volunteers to read a passage out loud, something from the first act. Two ladies volunteer even though one of the parts is male. I say, whatever, no big deal.

Anyway, when they finished, I made whatever point I was trying to make and moved on to another scene, Gwendolen and Cecily's first encounter. I asked for two more volunteers to read and this guy in the front row puts up his hand. Now this guy is a really good student, a little quiet, but really bright. I smiled and told him to go for it. Well, he started. He affected this very board upper-class British accent and his voice went up about three octaves. And he kept it up for the whole scene. It was hysterical. Everyone was laughing. When they finished, I had to applaud.

"That was fantastic," I said.

He smiled and said rather matter-of-factly, "You should hear my Lady Bracknell."

I immediately found a long section with Lady Bracknell in it for him to read.

11 comments:

Michael said...

No love for this story?

saran said...

I'm loving.

(That is dangerously close to promoting McD's. Hey, speaking of which, go be intrigued by my blog...)

Rebs said...

It made me smile.

not gonna lie, I'd probably be a little in love if I were in class with that guy.

Tom said...

You post in the late evening and are shocked not to have comments twelve hours later? My dear Michael, you appear to be displaying signs of triviality.

Michael said...

I'm disappointed when I don't get comments minutes later, Tom. I am triviality.

Jeremy said...

me too me too! They did that play at Columbia Bible, and a guy actually played that entire role, in that fashion. I wonder if it's the same guy. Eyepatch?

Michael said...

No, no eye patch... are you sure you didn't see a pirate-version of the play?

Keira said...

Nice! I played Lady Bracknell in my high school production. It was all kinds of fun.

Anonymous said...

was it dustin?

Michael said...

That would be telling... but no. It was someone else.

Jeremy said...

It wasn't a pirate version, but that's a great idea. Nope, he was just an interesting, nice, agreeable fellow who was genuinely missing an eye.