Thursday, February 08, 2007

Yeah, I saw the news happens every day

Last night, while watching "Bones," I got an unexpected treat: Stephen Fry made an appearance on American television. Ever since Hugh Laurie's success on "House," I've been hoping that his regular comedy partner, Mr. Fry, would make an appearance on some mainstream American program. Fry and Laurie were great in everything they were paired in: "Blackadder," "Jeeves and Wooster," "A Bit of Fry and Laurie," even Peter's Friends.

Not only is Fry a wonderfully witty actor and talented comedian, he is a best selling author. I own every one of his books.

I was really hoping that when Stephen Fry finally decided to grace American TV with his presence it would be on "House" as a foil for his old friend, Hugh Laurie. But I was more than pleased with his appearance as a psychiatrist on "Bones."

6 comments:

Rebs said...

did he also put on an american accent?

it's so strange now for me to hear Hugh Laurie with his own accent - it sounds like he's putting on a really bad brit accent.

the same thing for me with the guy that plays Wormtongue in LOTR - his own american speech sounds SO fake compared to his performance.

Michael said...

Nope, he was delightfully British - made David Borenaz drink tea and everything. Apparently he's going to be on next week as well.

amphimacer said...

My own reaction, when I walked in on my wife watching this show, was "Why the hell hasn't he been on 'House'?" But he was also delightful, lately, in his small role as a clergyman in the "Tristram Shandy" movie that played last year. I don't have a problem with Hugh Laurie's British accent, but only because I can still hear him in my head as Bertie Wooster, which is fake-ish. On 'House' his teeny speech impediment does make his American accent sound odd. He sounds completely un-Minnesotan, to my ears.

Michael said...

I was watching Jeeves and Wooster this morning, amphimacer. And in order to account for the differences in Hugh Laurie's English-comic acting and Hugh Laurie's American acting, I have resolved to believe that there are, in fact,two separate Hugh Lauries, twins if you will. One Hugh Laurie is American, saracastic and scruffy. The other, British, a little stupid but very charming.

A complex belief structure to be sure, but no more so than most major religions.

amphimacer said...

My response to your wholly inadequate system of belief is up on my blog today.

Keira said...

They're a tremendous duo, certainly. Fry's appearance on House would be just the thing to reinstate my loyalty toward the program.