Saturday, January 14, 2006

And it burns, burns, burns, the Ring of Fire

Finally got a catch to catch James Mangold's Walk the Line this weekend. Now, I've been curious about this film since I first heard it was being made. And while I could see how Joaquin Phoenix would make a compelling Cash, whose demons are well-documented, I was more than a little baffled by the decision to cast Reese Witherspoon as June. Now, Reese is hilarious in Election, but as June Carter Cash? Come on.
And after seeing the film? I think Reese Witherspoon deserves an Oscar.
She brings out the strength and complexity someone who, for better or worse, lived a good part of her life in the shadow and at the side of Johnny Cash. That's how most people think of her, smiling away at her famous husband's side, forgetting that she'd been performing (with her famous family) since she was child and helped Johnny battle drug addiction. June's introduction into the film, and to Cash, is an incredible contrast of the "June Carter" stage persona and the real June Carter, the difference which she explains to Cash in a later scene: I learned to be funny so I had a place to fit in.
The story is as much about June as it is about Johnny.

No comments: