Thursday, January 19, 2006

I think you're smart, you sweet thing

I don't really have anything to say today, but why should that stop me from writing something on this thing? I never have anything of any merit to say.

I thought I'd explain the phrases that make up my bizarre titles, because people have asked me... all right, that's a lie. No one's asked me, I just can't think of any thing else to write about. Though, I'm pretty sure some people have wondered.

They come from songs, usually songs I'm currently listening to on my mp3 player. They're lines that pop out to me as either hilarious or inane. Today's, for example, comes from the Flys' "Got You Where I Want You," which was featured in that 5 star epic, Disturbing Behaviour before the Flys buzzed off into obscurity.

There's nothing like an election to hammer home the Grand Canyon-like difference between rich and poor. If you're broke, wearing dirty clothes and shoe boxes on your feet, and talking absolute glibberish, you're crazy. If you have some money, are dressed up and talking the same glibberish, you're a politican. The other day I read an article/interview with a group of Manitoba MPs. They were asked mostly ridiculous questions like "What's on your iPod?" and "What's Gwen Stefani mean when she says she ain't no Hollaback girl?" Frankly, I don't know what's more pathetic: that that people running this country are so COMPLETELY obvilious to what's going on the world of pop culture or that this is what constitutes thoughtful journalism. Is it more pathetic that four adults who represent us have no idea who 50 Cent is? Or that a journalist got an opportunity to ask questions of people who make/break policies that effect the entire country and instead of asking about platforms or issues asked (and I wish I was making this up - but I don't have time to make stuff up anymore) "What you gonna do with that junk? That junk in your trunk?"

I see Hugh Laurie won a Golden Globe for playing of Gregory House on "House." Way to go, Hugh. I've said it before, if there's an actor better than Hugh Laurie currently working on television, I'd like to see it.

3 comments:

jpunk5 said...

i forgot about the flys. i loved that song back in the day.

and yes, i did wonder where the titles came from

Tom said...

I always knew, it's a popular blog habit to quote stuff as a title, or sometimes just in italics at the end of a post. I've recognized some of them... actually I recognized 'hold me closer tiny dancer' on 92 FM at work the other day.

Anonymous said...

actually,
"whatcha gonna do with all that junk? all that junk inside that trunk?"

the only reason i know that is because my roommate adores that song (for some disgustingly bizarre reason unbeknownst to me).

-abby