Wednesday, January 25, 2006

She makes me so unsure of myself

So, today was an Otterburne day. Those of you who aren't hip to the 'Toba (oh dear, did I just say that?), Otterburne is this little town/hamlet/couple of buildings about half an hour from Winnipeg. I teach out there. It takes me a long time to drive out there.

I've found myself increasingly bored out there this semester. Not the class - that's fine (actually better than expected). I mean the inbetween time. Last semester was all right because there were a few people to talk to, but with no computer in my life, and people either not there or avoiding me, the time I'm not in class just DRAGS by.

Taught Sylvia Plath's "Daddy" today, so you know it was like a giant party in class. Suicide and patricide - the room was rocking with mirth, merriment and laughter.

Dying
Is an art, like everything else,
I do it exceptionally well. S. Plath

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plath sounds...splendidly depressing.

How long are the inbetween breaks?

Michael said...

It's the 1.5 hour "chapel" break.

Anonymous said...

that's a long break.

have you ever considered using the sem lab to kill time?

Michael said...

I've considering killing sem students to pass the time... just kidding! What's in the sem lab that might kill some of that oh-so-long time?

Anonymous said...

there are computers with internet. you could lessen withdrawal symptoms.

Tom said...

Man, I am behind on your blog! I'm shocked and appalled at myself.

I recommend a new Game Boy game. FFIV is supposed to be a classic, they recently put it out with a revised translation for the GBA.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you shouldn't tell so many stories in class about strange people you don't recognize talking to you in the hall. They're legendary. If I recall correctly, you typically conclude with an exasperated, "I don't know you. Just leave me alone."

Just a thought.

Michael said...

Touche, T. Touche.

I am intrigued by the label "Legendary"... when I read that, in my head an orchestra began playing Orff's Carmina Burdana.

Anonymous said...

Precisely the audio experience I meant to invoke.

Anonymous said...

T, you are a blog-hopper monkey. Since you forgot the rest of your name, let me type it for you:
"urd"

muahaha.
;)