Sunday, February 26, 2006

It's the same old thing as yesterday

How sad is it that the thing I'm most looking forward to this week is installment 3 and 4 in the PBS "Best of Monty Python" series airing Wednesday night? Not that these specials haven't been fantastic - I particularly loved the Graham Chapman episode, despite the absence of Cleese's brilliant eulogy - but isn't there something else I could be getting excited about? And what happens after Wednesday? Is it all downhill from there? Oh, the questions.

Regardless, these special have been excellent. If you like, even a little, Python, check them out.

Things are trucking along nicely here in thesis-world (definitely the lamest "world" of all). Lots of reading and writing done; lots more to be done. The thing is I'm starting to put myself to sleep when I try to explain what I'm attempting to do with. Is this the great burden of all Grad students? You work so hard, spend so much time on a topic on something that most people couldn't care less about. I see people's eyes glaze over when I bring up theories of British masculinity or Winnicott's theory of child development. I guess I could look at this as a gauge of true friendship: my real friends are the ones who either stay awake or don't go running, screaming from the room when I talk to them about this.

At this point, the length of this conversation is way out of proportion to my interest in it. Dan Rydell, "Sports Night"

No comments: