Saturday, February 04, 2006

My name is Ivor, I'm an engine driver

An afternoon of intrigue and insights.

All right, intrigue might be overstating it just a bit. But there have been insights a-plenty. Insight number 3: if you don't safe files properly, you could lose a lot of work. Thought I had that one down pat. Apparently I was wrong. Man, I'm wrong a lot these days. Yeah, so I goofed, double-saved and overwrote a file that had six-seven pages of my lastest thesis chapter. I've spent the afternoon trying to re-create the brilliance of those now lost pages. Of course what I wrote in no way comes close to how good I now believe those pages to be. It's as Keats said in "Ode on a Grecian Urn":

Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter
Like the uncut 8 hour, 42 reel Greed or a lost episode of "Night Court" those missing pages have attained perfection through absence. They will be the greatest thing I ever wrote.

Hmmmm, maybe I should erase my whole thesis. Think how good it'll be then!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's really unfortunate that you lost so much work. have you been abel to recreate it?

Michael said...

Well, I think so. I've recreated the number of pages, but I don't think the wordings and tone are as good. It feels like crappy re-make of a classic movie. Like Casablanca with Wil Ferrell and the Mischa chick from the OC.

Anonymous said...

wil ferrell and mischa? that's...not...right. that's like putting salt and an apple in a bowl and calling it soup. =ew.

good job on rewriting all of that work, though.