Monday, October 30, 2006

between thought and expression

So, I basically slept the whole weekend away. I'd get up, start watching television and then fall asleep. I'd wake up, eat, start a movie, and then fall asleep. I took all kinds of flu and cold medication and drank more tea than an English cricket team. I also consumed a whole loaf of bread (which I ate toasted, with either marmalade or sugar) as well as all the left over roast beef (imagining that I needed a lot of iron).

I attempted to read, but couldn't concentrate long enough to follow a sustained narrative or argument. Lewis's An Experiement in Criticism was far too complicated in my state. Instead, I turned to more familiar ground, re-reading a number of Sherlock Holmes stories. Later, after re-reading all my favourites, I turned my attention to an anthology of short fiction. That, too, was more my speed.

I'm feeling better today (I did manage to drag my sorry carcass down to the University at 7 o'clock this morning) but could definitely use a nap. I've managed to stave off doing anything too physical, which I trust shows my mental faculties are returing. This weekend I would have been too tired to bother trying to put off anything.

4 comments:

Rebs said...

i'm glad you unknowingly followed my instructions of copious comfort food. tea and excessive toast sounds perfect to me!
as does holmes...a nice comfort-read. you know what else is a good comfort-read? y.a. I love it. especially britishy y.a. or anything by Gail Carson Levine. you should check her out the next time you need a break from Clive - even if princesses aren't your thing.
that is all

amphimacer said...

If you like Holmes and reread it, you ought to try Laurie R. King's current books (the seventh in the series published this year) featuring a late middle-age Sherlock and a young girl, named Mary Russell, whom he meets in the first book, The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Myself, I reread Henry James and Jane Austen -- but I'm the only person I know who finds James funny. I took a tape of "The Ambassadors" in the car once, and must have looked like an idiot laughing out loud.

I like the song lines you use as entry headings. (I just started reading you a couple of weeks ago.) Used to live in Winnipeg, myself, but escaped.

Michael said...

I enjoy rereading James' short stories. I'm currently on a short fiction kick. As for novels, I often reread Dickens, Waugh and Elizabeth Bowen. I am a great rereader.

Will definitely check out these Laurie King novels. I've read a few of the non-canonical Holmes, but with the exception of Seventh Percent Solution have been disappointed. Recommendations from a James fan are, however, especially noteworthy.

Laughing out loud in a car is far less embarassing than laughing out loud on the bus. First time I read David Sedaris I was on a crowded bus.

May I ask where did you escape to, amphimacer?

Rebs said...

hmm...I talk about kids' books and then you guys go all literary on me...
mike, I enjoy that I learn things on your blog - makes me feel like I should go back to school and, y'know, learn stuff. about english.